Monday, November 01, 2004

Down the Hatch!


Happy October surprise!

I’m writing from the comfort of my luxurious new desk chair, bestowed upon me unexpectedly by the major scientific society where I work, which is like sitting on a little piece of heaven itself. This is in addition to my raise of two weeks ago, and another review with possibility of another raise in four months. Guess they haven’t noticed that I spend the majority of my time writing things and surfing the internet.

Despite the frantic spin underway by the Republicans and their minions, it’s beyond me how anyone could see the Osama bin Laden video and NOT be reminded that not only has he NOT been brought to justice by the current administration, but in fact has apparently built an in-house production studio, complete with news-desk set, blue-screen backdrop and scrolling sub-titles.

And it doesn’t seem to have made one whit of difference in the polls in any case. More and here.

I dream of the day when I’ll have lots of pithy political insight to share, but today’s not that day, as I’m sore and cranky and hopped up on Benadryl. But tomorrow, I’ll be attending an election-watching party with lots of Capitol Hill ex-staffers, and hope to glean enough interesting tidbits to make it worth your while.

CELEBRITY DIRT: Little Sister Bamm-Bamm, whom you’ll recall recently took a phone order from former pop idol Richard Marx, today spoke with another notable Richard, Richard Hatch. At first, she thought it might be Survivor-Winner, Give-all-gay-men-a-bad-name, Should-know-better-than-to-parade-around-naked Richard Hatch, but then she discovered it was actually Richard “Apollo” Hatch, of TV’s Battlestar Galactica.

Now, I’m a Battletstar Galactica fan from way back, and in fact have been slowly making my way through the series on DVD. Even Big Sister Bamm-Bamm has mentioned her fondness for Mr. Hatch’s Richard Chamberlin-like allure.

But oh, how the mighty have fallen...

His credit card was declined.

For ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE DOLLARS.

I mean, there are probably a million different explanations, so I don’t want to start any unfounded rumors. LSBB has his home number, and she’s to call and find out what’s what. And I’ll report back as soon as I know. But heavens, I imagine even I could cough up a hundred and fifty bucks if I had to.

In the meantime, have a sniff around his website. He talks about how he never really liked fame and fortune, and willingly left Hollywood.

Then he proceeds to talk about the SEVEN Battlestar Galactica novels he’s written, his continuing efforts to get someone to produce BattlestarGalactica: The Next Generation, and signs his name “Richard Capt Apollo Hatch”.

Cut the cord, Rich. And pay your credit card bill.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LSBB's small, young friend here... I'd just like to comment on the worst Family Circus strip EVER run in Sunday's paper. Not even worst/best/worst again. Worst/most vomit-inducing/worst again. Way to be lame, Bill Keane, aka Jackass McGee.