Thursday, September 23, 2004

Black Eyes for the Queer Guys

"You know how bitchy fags can be" - Jennifer North, Valley of the Dolls

At the risk of being labeled a self-hating queer, I have to disclose that I hate "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". Although the "Fab Five" are composed entirely of the sorts of silly, giggling nincompoops that I go out of my way to avoid, and perpetuate stereotypical gay behaviors from the Victorian Age, this is NOT the reason I hate the show.

Yes, it IS a despicable minstrel show, as is the inane "Will and Grace" and the horrifying "Queer as Folk", but I AM cognizant of the fact that Halle Berry wouldn't have won an Oscar if Hattie McDaniel hadn't played all those maids.

No, the reason I hate the show is that I've yet to see them impart any knowledge to a hapless straight man that couldn't have been picked up by reading, say, the Style section of the local newspaper, or the wrapper on a bar of soap. Is it really uniquely gay to tell someone that:

* Fruits and vegetables taste best when they are in season
* Fresh pasta cooks faster than dried
* Girls enjoy horse and buggy rides through the park
* Giving presents is a nice gesture
* You should wash your face once a day

I guess information like this seems more special, somehow, when delivered by someone who hasn't brushed his hair, is wearing a t-shirt that cost ninety-five dollars, and can turn any statement into a double entendre.

And now, thanks to the once-watchable Bravo channel, we've discovered that the only thing more annoying than five gay men in wrinkled second-hand clothing is five gay men in wrinkled second-hand clothing with British accents.

No comments: