Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hulp, ben ik bezeten door het Deens!



I can't explain it, so don't ask me - but I've been seized by a sudden and inescapable obsession with Denmark.

It's a little disconcerting, frankly. I don't care for Hans Chrisian Andersen stories, and I'm not even particularly fond of the breakfast pastries.

I'm not Danish, nor are any of my kin - and yet, even a cursory examination of the Rubble traditional dietary habits will reveal several curiously Danish-like elements such as kale, pickled herring, and slathering every sandwich with butter no matter what else goes on it.

I AM Lutheran, as are 96% of Danish nationals.

And I DO like Legos (product of Denmark!)

Perhaps it's the uniformly attractive Danish Royal Family (well, except for Princess Elizabeth - she looks as if she's been kept away from the public eye for quite some time.)

Or maybe it's my envy and admiration of Denmark's 100% literacy rate.

Whatever it is, I'm about through with it, so any advice on ridding myself of this compulsion is welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't visit Denmark in the winter. Your esteemed former singing collegue, Michele, esq. went there on a Porgy and Bess tour and was EXTREMELY depressed the entire time she was in Denmark. 4 hours of sunlight....need I say more?