Friday, January 13, 2006

Denmark, Schmenmark



Code Dependent has gently suggested that my obsession with Denmark be redirected northeast, to Norway, due in part to Filius Sororis' own obsession with Denmark's once-conjoined Northern neighbor.

I suppose my recently-discovered affections COULD be transferred with little trouble - after all, I have always liked the Norway pavillion at EPCOT (with one notable exceotion - see below).



The pros:

1) Vikings!

2) killer sweaters

3) An only slightly less-attractive Royal Family

4) I'll likely be performing a commissioned work by a Norwegian composer next year, and may be going there anyway, so I may as well get used to the idea

5) Norway pisses Condi Rice off like sweet little Denmark never could


The cons:

1) Norway claims a 100% literacy rate, but I have my doubts. As you know, I work at a major peer-reviewed scientific publication, and last year saw only 10 submissions from Norway, as opposed to 77 from Sweden, 63 from Denmark and 45 from Finland. Makes me think all the smart people are fleeing the country

2) The only actual person I've ever known from Norway is a dumbass, and mean

3) Norway's traditional Christmas dessert, "rice cream with red fruit sauce", looks like bloody vomit

4) Jet and I ate once at the Akershus in EPCOT's Norway pavillion. The waitress, who insisted on talking to us through our entire meal, had a voice that sounded like a dolphin squealing mixed with shattering glass

Well, so I guess my cons are a little superficial, hmmm?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have just one pro-Norway comment.....Grieg. Oh yea, & the 80's group of hotties A-HA. But beyond that, I'm at a loss - the Norwegians seem to me to be highly ego-centric when it comes to their country and culture.
What about Finland? I mean, if Monty Python wrote an entire song dedicated to Finland, it can't be that bad, right?
But, can either country compete with Denmark, whom I'm assuming created the beloved danish. Cheese danishs are my fave.
Don't go to any of these countries during winter. That's about the only hard-fast advice I can give you!