Monday, January 09, 2006

And the Oscar goes to...

....Heath Ledger, if there's any justice in the world.

Which there isn't, so it probably won't.

So, yes, we've seen Brokeback Mountain, and...well....

Feh. Not the best, not the worst movie I've ever seen. Towards the "best" end, I just don't seem to be as crazy about it as everyone else in America. Even though I cried at the end.

I also cry at the end of The Color Purple, even though I've seen it a billion times, and aven though it's completely manipulative, and even if the last five minutes is ALL I WATCH.

Anyway, I digress...

If you've already seen the movie, go ahead and highlight the missing text below to see what I think. If not, just skip ahead, and if you choose to highlight anyway don't blame me for spoiling anything.

First of all, Brokeback is NOT about "gay cowboys" as 1) there are no COWS in the entire movie, and 2) neither of the leading characters ever self-identifies as gay.

Second of all, I suppose that what keeps me from giving it a glowing review is the fact that these two men are irresistably drawn to each other over the course of twenty years, at the expense of their families and careers, and the payoff seems to be getting drunk and having hot gay sex. Now, I'm not one to pass on either, but there's more to romance than THAT. I wanted to see a little more of what made them SO in love with each other.

In short, I came away feeling that if they HAD been able to be together, it wouldn't have worked out very well.

Plus Jack Twist was a cheater.

Plus Heath Ledger has a weird chest hair pattern. Kind of like he spread Elmer's glue on his chest and rolled around on some SOS pads.

Plus this picture of Heath Ledger naked is nowhere to be seen in the whole movie!

But that's just my take.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
High school dropout-turned-Nostradamus scholar John Hogue has issued his predictions for 2006. Fascinating, prescient, ridiculous, or a logical extension of current events - depending on your point of view.

I just wish he'd get an editor. Valerie PALME?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Heatyh'd be more of a shoo-in at Oscar time if they HAD included the full-frontal.....acting peers LOVE when other actors amke "gutsy" career moves. I mean, isn't that why Halle Berry got one?