Saturday, August 26, 2006

Limbo

Having spent the past three days back in DC, I am faced with the startling fact that, just like they say, you can't go home again. But I'm jaded and cranky and not at all prepared to embrace my new life and town. What's a boy to do?

Plus I'm still forty, and have no idea what I'm supposed to do with THAT knowledge.

Plus I'm apparently unemployable (see previous post). Okay, I haven't sent out, like, thirty-thousand blind resumes a day, like I've heard some people say they do, but I HAVE diligently scanned the newspapers and websites for local jobs that I am eminently qualified for, and been perky and affable in every interview I've gone on, and STILL nothing.

Well, except for the teaching one day a week at one of my Alma Maters, which gave my self-confidence a boost but is nonetheless an hour and a half away and will only net me a cool five grand a year, which is not going to be enough to keep my DVD habit going, and I already have the DT's from not having been to Best Buy in over two months.

Speaking of Best Buy, I would NOT be above working there, IF they were hiring, which they're not. Nor is Borders, or Barnes and Noble. The only box store offering the possibility of gainful employ is Michael's Crafts, but when I went in to ask for an application, after having been brusquely put off by the managerette, I inexplicable burst into tears and had to race back to my car. I suppose it was the possibility of having to scrawl my own name on my smock with a fabric marker that set me off, I don't know. Perhaps I'll go back this week. Now that I have one day of the week accounted for, I only need to find something for the other four.

Just to keep my options open, I DID ensure that I would have a place at the Cathedral should Jet and I suddenly return to DC, and was assured that I would indeed have a place - and all because I'm good and pure. I didn't even have to give out money or sexual favors. I also insisted that in the meantime, I be called back should anyone of importance die and have a service at the Cathedral, another assurance that was graciously granted me.

Oh, and lest I forget, Jet Screamer has started his own blog. Nothing much there yet, but keep hounding him, he's sure to have some juicy posts for us real soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the blog. BTW, Welcome to the hood.