Monday, March 06, 2006

My First Meme

I've been tagged by Drew, and am eternally grateful. And to think, before I started reading random blogs last week, I didn't even know what a meme was!

These are the rules.

1. Thank the person that tagged you. Thank you, Drew.

2. List 5 random/strange/weird things about you. See below.

3. Tag 5 other people. They will be random people, maybe, unless I try tagging Code Dependent. Or Plate-Of-Shrimp, both of whom could use a good kick in the ass to start blogging again.

So here are my five things:

1. Since Jet and I have been together (13 years as of Feb. 10, but don't feel obligated to send a gift) we have always lived within five miles of US Route 1. This is in two different states, four different cities and seven different domiciles. Now, facing an imminent move to a new city through which Route 1 runs, I am under the obsessive belief that we must continue to live within five miles of it. I'm also planning to drive the length of it one day and write a coffee table picture book about my travels.

2. I don't have any desire to be the boss of anything, ever. I used to really beat myself up about it, but after taking a Meyers-Briggs test (I'm solidly INF, usually followed by J but sometimes P, depending on the day) I realized that that's just the way I am, and it's okay to be that way. Besides, quite selfishly, after accepting myself for being that way I realized that being second in command is often a much more powerful position than being in charge. All the power, none of the blame.

Not that I couldn't be an effective leader if I HAD to be, mind you.

3. On a similar note, I am obsessed with secondary characters in television, movies, comic books, etc. The more of a cipher they are, the more I like them. I am compelled to learn every bit of minutiae there is about them, and sometimes, to create an imaginary background for them out of whole cloth. I suppose this proves to myself that even though I don't want to be the boss of anything ever, I'm still an interesting person. You can read my top ten list of secondary characters here and here, though in re-reading it I'm reminded that I forgot to add Ann Curry to the list.

4. When I'm alone in the car, or sometimes the shower, I practice my half of important conversations that I anticipate having. I have a scenario for every possible reaction from the other person, and in my practice I am always calm, cool, and have an unlimited vocabulary.

And yet, with all my practice, I am still awkward and fumble for words when having the conversation in real life.

Practicing conversations sounds like a good idea when I read it in print, but it doesn't feel like such a good idea when, say, you accidentally dial your home phone while you're in the car having a practice conversation, and your home answering machine picks up and records you talking to yourself for a good long time, and someone, say Jet, listens to the message, and then you have to explain to Jet that you often hold practice conversations with yourself.

5. Billy Baldwin stole a cab from me once.

6 comments:

D said...

I'm shocked that no one has a comment on this meme so far. I think it damn good!

Obviously, I can relate to the Route 1 living situation. However, the secondary characters is interesting. Are you a Teen Titan's fan as well?

Anonymous said...

Don't worry...I have the practice conversations too - I think it's a side effect of being I, N or F, but most likely, I. And I'm so glad you re-read and included the lovely Ann Curry - she's the wackiest, best part of the Today Show!

Anonymous said...

PS. I don't get the use of the French "meme" in this blog setting...please 'splain it to the clueless "slings". (Who keeps posting as anonymous because she's forgotten her password [though I did NOT write the comment about TBB being a Republican - I know better!])

Anonymous said...

Bam, Please accidentally dial my voice mail and practice away! Why should Jet get to have all the fun?

I can also six degrees myself to the Baldwins, although not as dramatically as you!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes one of the greatest gifts to my marriage is this blog. Bam Bam is indeed as funny in private as he is in writing. And, I will never forget hearing the practice conversation. It was both funny and insightful. Mostly, it made me understand BB in a more compassionate way. Conversation always comes to me with ease, but my writing is awkward. We all have gifts, and BB's is to entertain us with his wit and charm.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! packages cruise Ventasandinia black jack quotes insurance Disable internet access Recommended forex Medication 35mg phendimetrazine manufacturer truxton mikart hair loss solutions Blackjack student 9400 cobra detector radar xrs Decorate interior tip Meridia food interactions how to repair hotpoint clothes dryer Neurontin work search Cpa construction tax Copy of your credit report