Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Speechless

Liberal bias in the media? I wish.

An ad from the United Church of Christ has been rejected by CBS and NBC because it’s “too controversial”.

The reason it’s controversial? Because it advocates inclusiveness for all, including gays.

Really, some days I just want to hang my head and cry. When they come for us, will someone hide Jet and me in their attic? I promise a share of the royalties from the subsequent publication of any diaries.

Here is a statement from CBS on the matter (emphasis mine, to illustrate how far the media has its nose up Dubya’s ass): "Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples and otherminority groups by other individuals and organizations, and the fact the Executive Branch has recently proposed a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast on the [CBS andUPN] networks."

Suggested punitive-but-probably-pointless action: CBS and UPN (who also refuses to air the ad) are owned by Viacom, which also owns Blockbuster Video, currently under capitalistic attack by NetFlix. Write a nice letter to Blockbuster, including the cut-up bits of your Blockbuster card, explaining why you are no longer using Blockbuster and will be switching to NetFlix (or do as I do, buy any DVD you might even suspect you want, whether you ever watch it or not).










1 comment:

Oskins said...

My only comfort is how many of these stories are reaching the mainstream media since the election. I'm sure just as many disturbing anti-gay decisions were made before November 2nd, but we didn't hear about 3 of them daily.

I won't tell you the other two I heard today are. Sometimes, a bit of ignorance is bliss.